Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Allow me to comment on Doc's previous post. I have never smoked pot, or any illegal drug for that matter (though I have been an ass and smoked cigars/cigarettes). I think the use of pot can be dramatically decreased if parents paid more attention to their children. Rodney has touched on this subject on several occasions. It just seems parents aren't doing enough, nor are they paying due attention to their children. My parents, and at the time it drove me bonkers, were 'up my ass!' That being said, as I grew older, I had earned their trust and therefore was not bound by ridiculous curfews and constant snooping. Through high school, a lot of my friends wanted to drink any chance they got and went thru meticulous covert ways to achieve this. Hell, if I really wanted a beer all I had to do was ask my Dad and he would give me one. To me, the idea of drinking lost all its appeal since it wasn't really 'taboo.' Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a beer now and again; just not every night 6-10 at a time. I sincerely believe since my parents were very vigilant and educated me during my early childhood and pre-teen years, it strongly curtailed any chance for me to engage in illegal narcotic use and alcohol abuse. I realize a lot of the mainstream music today (specifically hip-hop) glorify drug use and a lot of people tend to blame the music. I, however, find that somewhat hard to swallow. I grew up listening to heavy metal and suffice it say, I have not killed my mother or tried to commit suicide (not that Tipper Gore and her minions at the PMRC insisted that is what metal was all about). Instead of blaming music and/or other media about your kid's problems, look in the friggin mirror. Being in a heavy-metal band and seeing rampant drug-use, a lot of fellow musicians would tell me that pot/coke/whatever 'gave them a high,' and/or 'mellowed them out.' Have you seen the habitual potheads 20 years later? There is a reason they are called 'burnouts.' Watch a few reruns of TAXI and pay close attention to the character of Jim Ignatowski (played by Christopher Lloyd) and you will know what I mean. As far as coke/crack/heroin, getting that kind of high that can KILL YOU seems counterproductive. Also, if it doesn't kill you, it turns you into a pathetic, lying, 2faced adulterer like a certain former pizza-chain franchisee that I know...

1 Comments:

At 1:59 AM, Blogger Conservative T and T said...

On the music issue, Tom, I totally agree. There is a lot of music out there that makes people, mainly kids, think that drugs are ok, and they would never get hurt by them. But that is no reason to blame the music, they are just an easy scapegoat for parents that have no time set aside for their children.

My parents too were up my butt most of my life, except when I became like this loner who wanted nothing to do with anyone and they had no idea what to do. This was when Joel left and was in Georgia, and also when we did not talk for a year because we had a falling out of sorts. I did try pot, many times, and luckily I had someone there to knock me back onto where I had to be in life. A lot of the times, there is not that person in everyones life that will or even can do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home